Archive for vaginismus1.myfreeforum.org An open forum to discuss any topic related to Vaginismus with other women (and men) going through the journey of understanding it and self-treating it
 


       vaginismus1.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> VAGINISMUS CENTRAL (Public Forum)
admin

how do we get tampon makers to acknowledge vaginismus ?

A German activist and I were discussing how tampon producers could have a unique chance to help prevent vaginismus by putting very clear information about it in their leaflet, and yet they do not take this chance and they seem unaware that vaginismus even exists since no company mentions it.

Yet they must know that one of the reasons some women are not buying their products is because it hurts them to wear tampons or because they simply find it impossible to insert them to begin with. So why the silence ?

It's quite obvious that they probably fear scaring even more women off, by talking about vaginismus. They HAVE TO talk about the Toxic Shock Syndrome tampons only because law compels them, otherwise I guess they would gladly be quiet about that too.

I doubt a law will ever compel them to write something about vaginismus and yet we believe that if they talked about it briefly and gently, saying there is a treatment for this and that it is not a rare condition that women may think are freak for having, it could help a LOT of young girls prevent vaginismus or at least prevent the stress linked with having to understand something that everybody pretends nobody has.

So my question is: how do we reach those companies and make them see how important it is for them to mention the word vaginismus somewhere in their leaflets?

This German woman together with some friends was thinking of preparing a letter to send them, I haven't heard from them in a long time but I hope they will soon let us know how things developed there, but in the meantime:

1. how do you think we could address tampon makers

or

2. what would you have liked to have seen written in tampon leaflets ?

thanks
spike_train

They may legitimately not know. There's a common (and not entirely unreasonable, just not always true) assumption with tampons that if you're having trouble putting one in, it's because you don't know that area of your body well enough and don't have enough practice, and might be trying to insert it at a bad angle or something.

Letters seem like a good step.
BrevisMus

I agree with Spike - if lots of *gynecologists* don't know about vag., then I wouldn't expect tampon makers to! I'm sure they do polls and studies as to why women aren't using their product, but I would imagine that they just have one option for 'it hurts me', and that would include vag. women, women with hymens, and women who are uncomfortable with tampons in general.

Also, I'm not sure how it would actually *prevent* vaginismus? I would have thought that saying 'if you cannot insert this tampon you might have a condition wherein your vaginal muscles clamp involuntarily but don't worry there's treatment' would make more people think they have vaginismus, rather than actually prevent it.

I think it's a good idea to contact tampon makers and see what they think, and I think it will be a really good way to raise awareness, I'm just unsure as to why it would *prevent* vag.

That being said, I do wonder how feasible it would be. I think tampon makers would be more likely to have information about it in the packs if they also made dilators - that way they'd have a financial reason for doing so Wink

TSS is mentioned not just because of legal reasons, but because wearing a tampon can actually kill you. There is direct cause and effect here.

Vag. is not only not life-threatening, but is also not - in most cases - directly caused by tampons. You could argue that if they include information on vag., why not VV? There must be women who can't use tampons due to that. Or why not mention the signs to look out for for cervical cancer? etc. etc.

However, while I'm not sure about printing information on the packs (although as usual - willing to be proved wrong Wink ) most tampon makers have websites, and it would be really good if they could mention vaginismus on their websites.
Mercy

I think the goal is not to prevent vag, but to help people with vag to know what's going on and that they can treat it. It might prevent some people from spending years wondering what's wrong down there.

It's an interesting idea to write tampon makers. I wonder if they will be receptive.
BrevisMus

Mercy, I was talking about the feasibility of 'prevention' as that was the word used in the first post.

I've been thinking about this idea today, and wonder if I put together a little campaign to email tampon manufacturers would people a) be interested and b) act on it? I'm thinking that we could 'adopt' a company each and send them a letter or an email.

Thoughts?
admin

on prevention and tampon makers

I think it would be a great idea Brev !

I will put you in touch with the German girl who was already planning to do something similar with some of her friends.

Just give me a few days cause I'm very busy with work but I'm glad you thought about this..

PS As for the "prevention" misunderstanding, what I meant was preventing the suffering that comes from having vaginismus and not knowing what it is, that it's curable, that many women have it etc etc..
So those companies have the power to prevent a lot of emotional suffering related to vaginismus. That's what I meant.

And maybe if girls knew that some girls have problems with pain inserting tampons, they would not start wondering and get defensive about first time sex too then, as many did. So in a way these companies could actually prevent vaginismus indeed, because vaginismus can be situational. A girl may start thinking something is wrong when she feels pain at inserting a tampon and if her fears are not reassured, as we know it is very likely she can then translate those fears into fear of first time sex too and get tense when that happens and so on and so forth..

hope it's clearer..

anyway, i'll give you that info. privately soon..
Thanks for beng active about such issues Smile
Katherine the Shrew

Hello,

I havenít posted anything in this forum yet and I have to admit that up till today I havenít even read here, although I know and very much appreciate the vaginismus awareness website! Lily contacted me these days because of the project with the tampon companies. Iím the ďGerman activistĒ and my name is Katrin. Let me say a few words to your discussion:

> It's quite obvious that they probably fear scaring even more women off, by talking about vaginismus.

I donít think itís because they donít want to scare women off, but because they donít know about vag in the first place. Also, problems with tampons donít always ďcountĒ as vag, but only not being able to have intercourse.

> Also, I'm not sure how it would actually *prevent* vaginismus?

I agree with Lilyís latter statement. Trouble with tampons (also if itís only because you are not familiar wit the anatomy or are afraid) can lead to further problems. My own problems started with tampons, and went on with gynaecological exams. If in my early teens I had had all the infos I have now (that Iím 32), the gynaecological exams wouldnít have had to be so painful, Iím sure. The first experience of pain with insertion can lead to clamping up and the vicious circle begins. Early intervention could prevent a lot of trouble, Iím sure.

> So my question is: how do we reach those companies and make them see how important it is for them to mention the word vaginismus somewhere in their leaflets?
1. how do you think we could address tampon makers
or
2. what would you have liked to have seen written in tampon leaflets ?

I think that a letter would be better than an e-mail. It can be signed properly, you cannot click it away easily and you can add information. I also think that it is not done with only one letter or e-mail. We would probably have to be very persistent about the issue. Perhaps we could also do a collection of signatures? Or many women send the same letter with their own signature?
What do you think about not only contacting the companies in one country, but in several? O.b. for example is international I think, anyway. We could translate the letter into several languages and spread them over the self help groups. Also I think it is important to contact all the companies at the same time.
Well, one girl from our group said she would make a draft for such a letter, but unfortunately I havenít heard from her quite a while. (I myself am busy with another project: We want to found a vag-charity.) So, if someone from you is already collecting ideas or would write something, that would be great. I think, a good argument would be, that they could even sell more of their product, when women know about their vag and can do something about it.

Well, good-bye for today,
Katrin
BrevisMus

Hi Katrin,

That's a really interesting post. I'm very interested in what you say about starting up a vag charity Smile

I'm just thinking about the letter writing campaign - which I can try to set in motion this weekend.

I have a couple of questions that I would appreciate feedback on:

1) How much, really, do we think that tampon manufacturers play a part in this? While I think it is worth contacting them - I'm really interested in what they'd say for a start - do we think it might be a better use of time and resources to contact gynecologists and doctors?

2) What about conditions like VV? Vaginismus isn't the only condition that can become apparent when trying to insert a tampon, and it's another condition that is not very well-known.

3) My personal opinion is that we are unlikely to change what is written on the box/leaflet. Tampon companies are not going to want anything that might put potential customers off - and I honestly think that any mention of pain or potential pain on the leaflet is going to do that.

HOWEVER, I think more companies should have better insertion & troubleshooting tips on their websites. On their websites they aren't limited by space or cost (which they are on a leaflet), and I think this would be an ideal place for companies to have more information.

I think it is much more feasible to encourage companies to update their website. This would be the much cheaper option for them too, and I think we are more likely to get results.

Thoughts?

Over the weekend I am going to get something together to promote this little bit of guerrilla-activism, and start thinking about sample letters. I think it is more hard-hitting if people write separate letters that are varied - so not just the same letter again and again. For instance, in the UK, MPs can ignore multiple copies of the same letter - you're always advised to make it a little more personal.

(Of course, I am morally torn about this whole issue. I want to raise awareness of vaginismus... but I disapprove of tampons!)
admin

Good idea, encouraging them to improve their websites.

At the same time, not everyone trying a tampon for the first time and feeling pain will even think about their websites, so we could ask them to have a wee section in their leaflets that link to a page on their website where they have further information for those finding problems when inserting a tampon or mooncup, and there they could mention vaginismus AND Vvestibulitis...

ANyway, i have to get back to work now but I'm very glad you're going to try drafting a letter that we can all then change lightly individually..
Katherine the Shrew

> 1) How much, really, do we think that tampon manufacturers play a part in this? While I think it is worth contacting them - I'm really interested in what they'd say for a start - do we think it might be a better use of time and resources to contact gynecologists and doctors?

In our group we think a lot about in what ways we can reach women best. One way we already put into action is via leaflets in gynecologistsí practices or advice centres. The problem is getting the money raised for it again and again. I thought about the tampons companies because I assume that almost every woman at least tries tampons once in her life. I further assume that most women will read the leaflet carefully when first trying tampons. So if vag was mentioned and briefly explained on the leaflet we could reach many women. So the aim of the tampon project is to inform women about vag. Another aim we pursue is informing doctors. Of course one possibility is also via leaflets by support groups. The problem is that many doctors will trust their specialist literature more than what some women say they experience. So we have no clever ideas about how to inform more doctors. Getting more research done is probably very difficult as a non-professional and anyway research follows its own rules I guess.

At the moment we put our energy mainly into the charity thing because we think this is a better ďframeĒ for all other projects. So the other ideas donít have a high priority at the moment.

> 2) What about conditions like VV? Vaginismus isn't the only condition that can become apparent when trying to insert a tampon, and it's another condition that is not very well-known.

I donít suffer from VV and I donít know much about it. Of course it would be very helpful if women suffering from VV could also find information about this in the tampon leaflet. But I think they have to initiate that themselves because I donít feel enabled to speak for them. One could think about a co-operation, though.

> 3) My personal opinion is that we are unlikely to change what is written on the box/leaflet. Tampon companies are not going to want anything that might put potential customers off - and I honestly think that any mention of pain or potential pain on the leaflet is going to do that.

I also think that it is rather unlikely, but still worth a try. And I still think that one chance is, that they understand that many women donít use tampons because they suffer from vag. Many women very fast come to the stage where they can and do use them, once they know what to do about it. So they would actually get more customers if they mentioned vag.

> HOWEVER, I think more companies should have better insertion & troubleshooting tips on their websites.

I totally agree. The insertion tips on the leaflet are not very helpful. I have never read the ones on the websites. I thought that we could also suggest improving the insertion tips Ėmainly on the leaflets, not only on the websites. Not every woman has access to the internet or uses the webistes of tampon companies.

> I think it is much more feasible to encourage companies to update their website. This would be the much cheaper option for them too, and I think we are more likely to get results.

Yes, I agree, thatís a good option. Also the idea with a link to the website sounds interesting.

> I think it is more hard-hitting if people write separate letters that are varied - so not just the same letter again and again. For instance, in the UK, MPs can ignore multiple copies of the same letter - you're always advised to make it a little more personal.

Thank you for this info! I have absolutely no experience in such things, but what you say sounds reasonable.

> (Of course, I am morally torn about this whole issue. I want to raise awareness of vaginismus... but I disapprove of tampons!)

Oh, thatís annoying Wink. Could you Ė briefly Ė state what exactly you disapprove of?

Bye,
Katrin
infiliata

Reaching doctors

In terms of reaching doctors and nurses, I think it's true that doctors are going to be more likely to read something that is approved by an M.D., and more particularly an obstetricion doctor. But there is no reason that we couldn't create this...

You would have to write a leaflet with well-referenced information, then get a good doctor who knows what they are talking about to read it and then you can say, "Reviewed Favorbaly by Dr. Expert, M.D., obstetrician at Y University of Medicine" right on the front. Or you could a "reviewed favorably by the Obsterician Association" or something like that So it would be created and distrubuted by women with vag but with a doctor seal of approval.

Regarding shaping research, someone could talk to someone who does research on this topic and see if that person would have recommendations... Researchers are always going after grants so if you had enough money you could set up your own grants... research always follows the money... But my guess is that the amount of money needed would be really high. Another possibility could be to write letters to grant-giving bodies (such as the National Institutes of Health in the U.S.) saying that there should be more research on vag... I don't know if this would work though. I 've never heard of anyone doing it before.

Unfortunately, I really can't help right now as I am in the last few months of a very rigorous academic problem, but maybe these ideas will help...

Infiliata
BrevisMus

Katrin, thanks a lot for all your responses - there's certainly a lot to think about!

> One way we already put into action is via leaflets in gynecologistsí
> practices or advice centres. The problem is getting the money raised for
> it again and again.

That's a really good idea! Do you do this with the co-operation of the clinics? Have you considered a poster instead? That way you're only using the one piece of paper, rather than having to replenish lots of leaflets.

> I donít suffer from VV and I donít know much about it. Of course it
> would be very helpful if women suffering from VV could also find
> information about this in the tampon leaflet. But I think they have to
> initiate that themselves because I donít feel enabled to speak for them.

I suppose what I'm trying to say (I'm putting myself in the shoes of a tampon company) is what makes vaginismus so special that tampon companies have to pay to include information about it on their leaflet (because anything added to their leaflets will increase their costs)?

What makes vaginismus more important than VV, or any other type of vaginal complaint (a really thick hymen, for example)? Why should vaginismus have the prestige of being mentioned on tampon leaflets, but other conditions affecting women's vulvas aren't mentioned?

Vaginismus is not the only condition that is related to tampon use, and tampon companies may feel that by accommodating vaginismus, they are then obliged to accommodate other conditions, or to relay information about cervical cancer, etc.

Ultimately, a tampon leaflet tells you how to insert a tampon, and warns you that you might die if it is used 'incorrectly'. They aren't a vulval health information service.

That's why I thought targetting websites would be more achievable.

> I thought that we could also suggest improving the insertion tips Ėmainly
> on the leaflets, not only on the websites.

Yes, this is a fantastic idea.


>> I think it is more hard-hitting if people write separate letters that are
>> varied - so not just the same letter again and again.
>
> Thank you for this info! I have absolutely no experience in such things

Not a problem - I work for a charity in the UK so I have dealt with this issue a lot.

> Could you Ė briefly Ė state what exactly you disapprove of?

I don't think I can be brief, because I disapprove of so many things! I'll try bullet-points:

* Tampons are bad for you physically.
- They are often made of bleached fibres. A tampon can leave traces of these fibres in the body as well.
- They can cause TSS - which is fatal.
- They are so absorbent that they dry out the vagina.

* Tampons are bad for you mentally.
- The way they are advertised suggests that you are not a proper woman living a full life unless you use tampons.
- Tampon literature about TSS places the blame for developing TSS on the woman for using a tampon 'incorrectly', when often she has used the tampon 'correctly' and still developed the condition. This is bad for two reasons: it blames the victim for not acting properly, and it also implies that other women will be 'immune' to getting TSS because they've done everything 'right'.
- The fact that tampons are bleached white and often individually wrapped creates the false impression that they are 'sterile' and that menstrual blood is 'unhygienic', and that 'sanitary protection' must be disposed of.

* Tampons are bad for the environment:
- Think of all the waste! Lots of tampons are in a box, containing a leaflet; then each tampon is individually wrapped in plastic, often with a plastic applicator. ALL of this then goes into landfill.
- And think of all the resources used to make the tampons in the first place.

* Tampons are bad for your pocket:
- Because they are a disposable product women have to keep buying more and more each month.

I think that's pretty much everything Wink
BrevisMus

Infiliata, thanks for the information - that's really helpful Smile

Unfortunately, as I am doing a doctorate in the Arts I do not have any medical contacts! Maybe someone with better contacts will come forwards?
infiliata

clarifying my post

Hi brevis mus and others,
Let me take a moment to clarify my post.

I was responding to Katherin's comment: "Another aim we pursue is informing doctors. Of course one possibility is also via leaflets by support groups. The problem is that many doctors will trust their specialist literature more than what some women say they experience. So we have no clever ideas about how to inform more doctors. Getting more research done is probably very difficult as a non-professional and anyway research follows its own rules I guess. "

I was only referring to how to get doctors and nurses more informed about vaginismus and v.v. The conversation about whether or not pamphlets made for women should be "approved" by a health professional is a different story. Like you Brevis mus, I can see both sides of this argument so I won't address it here.

While I think doctors should know what their "patients" think about vaginismus, a doctor is not going to change her practice based on someone's views of vaginismus unless she can be reasonably assured that this information is accurate and generalizable to her patient population. On easy way to allay the doctor's fears is to have a "Reviewed by such and such M.D." on the front though there are of course other ways such as citing lots of articles from quality, peer-reviewed journals.

I hope that clarifies.
Infiliata
BrevisMus

Infiliata - I agree 100% with what you've written. Doctors get letters from crackpots all the time. The only way that they are going to listen or pay attention is if the information comes from an official, trusted source.

The best way to go about it would be if we had a doctor who had also suffered from vaginismus, and was willing to talk about it.

A doctor - whether male or female - will be put above their patients ALWAYS in a situation giving out medical advice. The doctor has the qualification, the patient only has their own experience. If - as we have often discovered - the doctor's teaching was inadequate then THAT is what we have to fight to change.

If you search on the internet then you'll find hundreds of testimonies from people with x disease, who did y and z to overcome it. But I'd ONLY take their experience into account with the advice of my doctor.

I think we should try and do something to raise awareness with health professionals - which is why I asked whether our energy might be better spent in that direction rather than with tampon manufacturers.
admin

about needing a doctor's stamp to value women's experiences

sorry all, my post that Infilata and Brev replied to is missing from where it should be in the thread; it basically said that I resist the idea that a doctor's seal of approval is needed to make some women's complaints valid or taken into serious consideration but that I see how getting doctor's approval may be useful especially at the beginning of such an awareness campaign.

But whatever you decided to do would be great, either way.
admin

Brev wrote

"The doctor has the qualification, the patient only has their own experience"

See, it's that "ONLY" added to those sentences that I have big problems with...

Up until a few MONTHS ago, one of the MAIN symptoms used to diagnose vaginismus scientifically said that a doctor had to check for SPASMs..

As we always knew and as doctors now have been told, (at last) not every woman with vaginismus experienced vaginal clamping if a speculum or finger was inserted, or if it's inserted by a doctor rather than by a partner.

So that meant that THOUSANDS of women have been told "it's all in your head", just because the diagnostic manual (written mainly by men by the way), said that is how things were... THe women's voice and experiences were ignored of course..

anyway, i have to go now..
BrevisMus

OK - I'm ridiculously tired so I'm not sure how coherent this post will be:

I'm sorry, I didn't want to dismiss patient's experiences as not being worthy, or to suggest that the medical establishment is always right.

However, the fact is that a doctor will always prioritise information from another doctor, and the public will always prioritise information from a medical source. I don't think this attitude is inherently wrong - there's so much medical misinformation around [I'm talking in general, not about vaginismus] that going with a trusted medical source is one way of sorting information.

Now, the fact that there isn't a high level of awareness about vaginismus in the medical profession is another matter. While patient experience is important to campaign for improved research, we shouldn't see to by-pass the medical professionals altogether. Every medical professional we can educate is another one who would support us.
Katherine the Shrew

> That's a really good idea! Do you do this with the co-operation of the clinics? Have you considered a poster instead? That way you're only using the one piece of paper, rather than having to replenish lots of leaflets.

We talked about creating a poster, yes. Itís on our brainstorming-list. But at the moment we donít have enough money for something new. Iím not quite sure if I understand what you mean with co-operation of the clinics. Every member of our support group could order some leaflets and distribute them where they thought it would be suitable. In my case it was my gynaecologist and a few advice centres. Now we collect money for having them printed again.

Thanks for all your valuable comments about putting yourself in the shoes of a tampon company! Surely these aspects should be considered when contacting them.

Also thank you for your arguments against tampons. I have to admit that Iíve been a naÔve user up to now and was just happy about the advantages over sanitary towels. Personally they donít make me feel that blood is unhygienic or dry out my vagina. Before I could use them I hated sweating in the summer with a sanitary towel or not being able to take a swim or a shower without spoiling the bathroom. So I just enjoy the new comfort and freedom. But I also agree that there are disadvantages.

Bye,
Katrin
admin

An idea

It's so exciting to see you talk about this topic and brainstorming ideas which could become really helpful..

Personally, considering our limitations with money, time etc. I'm loving the "poster" idea, or brochure.

So I was thinking..

About 270 people have already read this thread....
It's a lot of people in just a few weeks, so I thought, what if we could create a sort of poster that could be uploaded on the V-A-N website, with a couple of signatures of someone endorsing it, (which could be the VAN website itself AND a couple of gyno's..) so people could freely download it then and distribute it where they see fit ?


cause that way it'd be pretty cheap and everyone could contribute and we could translate it easily in other languages too (Italian, German and Spanish for now) so people could distribute it in gyno's office in their own countries.

How does it sound ?
infiliata

what i'm doing

Hey guys,

Regarding raising awarness in the medical community, I am writing a letter to a faculty member at one of the schools of health in my area. I am offering to be a guest speaker talking about my experience and the current state of research. I am also enclosing a list of resources for the faculty member to use including this website and others.

If anyone has good resources (esp. websites) that I can include, let me know.

Also, I hope that people who are willing would consider doing the same thing in their area. Reaching a faculty member means reaching many many practitioners.

Also, I think the poster idea is super great. Are we talking about flyer size or bigger? I think flyer size would be easiest in terms of printing and getting permission to hang. Does anyone have graphic design experience to help make it look professional? (or is that even necessary?)
admin

Congratulations for feeling ready to speak up about these issues Infilata.
You'll be terrific cause you are extremely clear and yet not dry at all.
And thanks for adding the VAN website to the list of helpful links.
Let us know how things go for you..

In my small experience giving a short presentation to future doctors about Vag. in Uni last year, I can just guess that you'll steal everyone's attention in the audience and they'll feel very grateful you taught them a few things about such hidden topics. You may even help women in the audience already, just with saying out loud the word vaginismus or VV. and your experience of them.. So great job..

As for the poster, sure, it could be a flyer instead, it'd be easier to print and distribute, you're right. Thanks.

So maybe now we should start focusing on what to write, and on looking for a few people to sign it, then hopefully someone will help with the graphics too.

But a flyer wouldn't work well with tampon makers of course, so we'd still need an actual letter there.

So who's going to try and write what ?
And who can help us look for people who would sign both things?

Any idea ?
BrevisMus

Hello Katrin,

Sorry for the severe delay in coming back to this thread!

Quoting Katrin:
"Iím not quite sure if I understand what you mean with co-operation of the clinics."

What I meant was, do you get permission to place your leaflets in the clinic? Or do you just quietly leave the leaflets there without the clinic knowing?


Quoting Katrin:
"So I just enjoy the new comfort and freedom."

My goal in overcoming vaginismus was to be able to use a menstrual cup, so that I could have all the benefits of an internal menstrual product, without the disadvantages of tampons!
BrevisMus

Re: what i'm doing

Infiliata,

That is amazing! Thank you so much in deciding to do this Smile I hope you are offered a speaker's position!

I think that a letter introducing you, literature for you to have at any potential speech, and information given to tampon makers would all need to be slightly different.

A formal letter offering to speak would involve as many facts as possible, along with what experience you would bring, and what your audience would get out of it.

If you do give a presentation, then that would be an ideal place to make some flyers up for, so they could be given out as a handout - maybe with key resources on.

Tampon makers again would need something different. I did offer to write something here - I was hoping maybe 5 people would guarantee that they'd send a letter at least, but I don't think we've hit that yet. Volunteers anyone?
admin

Well, summing things up, I think we agreed that we should write a little flier with information on vaginismus and some references to tampons which could be printed from the website in an easy A4 format that anyone could then leave at clinics' and gyno's waiting rooms.

AND we should write a letter to tampon makers asking them to have more information on vaginismus on their websites (if not on their leaflets) and how a lot of potential customers are not buying their products because it hurts them to insert tampons and though there are ways to help them, their companies don't ever give them a clue that they are not alone and that it's ok and treatable.

So, if you (Brev & Katherine) feel like putting the letter together, I could work on the flier in the meantime.

As for the 5 volunteers who would then send the letter, well, I think we have them here, don't we ?

It'd be Brev, Katherine, me and I'd easily find 2 or more people I think, so we may have to wait till after the summer holidays.

So let me know what you decide to do.
It doesn't have to be a long letter.

I'll start working on the flier soon.
Emmalee

Hi All,

I have not posted a comment here before, in fact i only figured out that vaginismus could be the reason for my problems with sex just a few short days ago.

I just wanted to add a short comment about my experience with tampons. i had tried to use them a number of times but had pain and fear when trying (one clue which leads me to believe i have vaginismus). on my third attempt, following the tampon instructions carefully, i got annoyed and pushed through the pain. i ended up passing out on the floor of my bathroom. whether i have a low pain threshold, whether i hit some sort of nerve i do not know. my point is....where was the info telling me why i was having trouble in the first place. had i known about vaginismus then, or even sighted the word i may have realised there was a problem and that i could not follow the instructions like other women. now after many months i have taught myself to use tampons (a technique i now know is called dilating!!)

i totally agree with what you are all saying and i think women should be told of this disorder more often. i did not know anything about it until i stumbled over your website after googling 'painful sex'. And my doctor did not utter a word about it when i say him after fainting.

I have felt so alone, ashamed and unworthy over the past 4 years (during trying to have sex with my very supportive boyfriend) that reading your website and seeing i was not alone brought me to tears.

women need to be made aware of this problem so they do not feel like myself and many others. I believe tampon companies are a fantastic way of getting the message into the mainstream.

thank you for your website, i am at the very begining of my healing but i am feeling very confident and relaxed about the outcomes that i now know i can achieve.

xxx
admin

Emmalee, i'm glad you found the site and the forum and that you can relate with what many of us are saying about tampon makers and their silence re. vaginismus, which didn't help many of us.

This is still a small new forum so don't feel ignored if you don't get too many posts for a while, but many people read so if you have questions or anything, just speak up and usually someone will reply to you.

anyway, i'm glad you feel more confident than a few weeks ago already.
yes, you can 'achieve', as you said, not only because you have all the tools you need to solve vaginismus, but also because you can achieve understanding of it, which is probably even more important..

all the best
Katherine the Shrew

Some remarks concerning letter, poster and flyer

Hello,

Iím sorry that I donít contribute very much in this forum, but Iím just too busy with other things...

Some remarks to former postings:

Brevismus asked if the distribution of the leaflets was in co-operation with the clinics. I can only speak of myself here. At the sites where I distributed the leaflets I always asked and informed the people there. To most of them I wrote a letter and sent some leaflets with it, with the others I talked. These were my gyno and one advice centre. I guess most other women of our group did it similarly, I only know it from some that they did.

Regarding the plans for letter, poster and flyer: Iím enthusiastic about that you are doing this, it would really be great! But unfortunately I canít contribute much in e.g. writing the letter. As I mentioned earlier, I am busy with other things (the vag-charity and other things).
If you do come up with a letter to tampon companies, of course I would sign and send it to the German ones!
Just one comment to the idea with the poster and flyer. I wasnít yet active when our group designed the flyer, but I know that they decided against the possibility of having it printed out by the members themselves because they wanted it to be in very good quality in order to make a professional impression. So they had it made by a printery. The disadvantage of course being that it is expensive and you are dependent on getting them from somebody. Weíve been running out of flyers for many months now and are collecting money again, which is very annoying for me. There were so many possibilities where I would have needed someÖ. But I also see the point that it should look really professional on order that we are taken seriously. Well, Iím curious what you will come up with!

Bye,
Katrin

       vaginismus1.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> VAGINISMUS CENTRAL (Public Forum)
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum
WWW.VAGINISMUS-AWARENESS-NETWORK.ORG